3D Mammography Available in West Des Moines & Downtown
Call 515-875-9500 to schedule your appointment.
Breast tomosynthesis, often referred to as 3D mammography, is a new technology that converts digital breast images into a stack of very thin layers to build a three dimensional view of the breast. It is performed in conjunction with the standard 2D digital mammogram.
Peer-to-peer journals suggest that 3D mammography is most beneficial for women with:
- Dense breast tissue as shown by a mammographic image
- Patients with a greater than 20% lifetime risk of developing breast cancer (as determined by your physician using a breast cancer risk evaluation tool)
- Those who have had an abnormal mammogram
3D mammography is an elective exam which is not covered by insurance.
An additional cost of $40 is due at the time of service.
Frequently Asked Questions:
If I want 3D mammo, can I have it?
- Yes, but remember it’s an additional $40 due at time of service.
What’s the difference between 2D and 3D?
- 3D is an elective, additional screening tool that provides a three dimensional view of your breast tissue. It allows the radiologist to view slices (layers) of your breast tissue, rather than one flat image.
Why isn’t it covered by insurance?
- It’s a fairly new technology, but you’d need to ask your insurance company as to why it’s not yet covered.
Does 3D mammography eliminate call backs?
- 3D mammography may help reduce call backs, but that’s not always the case. Call backs with follow up ultrasound may still be needed in certain situations.
Is it more radiation?
- There is slightly more radiation with 3D mammography.