COVID-19 Safety Precautions
Under the current circumstances, we understand that you may be apprehensive about going to the doctor. At The Iowa Clinic Endoscopy Center, the care and safety of our patients remains our priority. In accordance with state and federal guidelines, we have made the decision to resume elective procedures with the implementation of thorough safety measures designed to reduce the risk of Coronavirus/COVID-19.
Here are the things we’re doing to keep you safe:
- PPE: Based on Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommendations, all patients and visitors who are coming into The Iowa Clinic for appointments are required to wear masks or homemade face cloths. All staff are required to wear masks at all times. Staff wear additional PPE (gowns, gloves, face shields) as needed based on the procedure and activity being provided to patients.
- Door Screenings: All Iowa Clinic employees, patients and visitors in all clinics are screened upon entry into our clinics, including a series of questions and temperature reading.
- Clinic Visitor Restrictions: Visitors accompanying patients are restricted. Exceptions will be made if the patient needs assistance. All Endoscopy patients are required to have a driver. If patients allow, the driver will be informed of the procedure process and results by telephone. The Endoscopy Center waiting room has seats that are sectioned off to maintain proper social distancing.
- Zero Contact Check-in: Time spent in waiting areas is minimized by scheduling patient appointments to allow for patients to quickly be escorted into exam rooms. Staff may also ask patients to remain in their vehicles until their scheduled appointment time. Pre-appointment check-in can be completed online to minimize time spent in the waiting area.
- COVID-19 Testing: All patients are required to get tested for COVID-19 within 72 hours of their procedure. Any patient coming in for a procedure must have tested negative for COVID-19 and have self-isolated to avoid exposure within 72 hours of the procedure. Testing can be completed at The Iowa Clinic or at Unity Point Health, Mercy and their affiliates.
- Separating Infectious and Well Patients: The Iowa Clinic has taken significant extra measures to separate patients exhibiting infectious symptoms and those without. Patients exhibiting infectious symptoms will need to make an appointment for Urgent Care (Ankeny or West Des Moines). These areas are kept carefully isolated from the rest of the Clinic to avoid exposure.
These measures are all in addition to rigorous disinfecting and cleaning protocols for both our waiting areas, exam rooms and procedure rooms.
Your health is important to us. On behalf of The Iowa Clinic Endoscopy Department, thank you for trusting The Iowa Clinic with your healthcare needs. We look forward to seeing you (safely) soon.