10 Firework Safety Tips in Honor of Iowa's New Legislation
There are new laws this Fourth of July that allow Iowans to go above and beyond the typical sparkler festivities: If you are over the age of 18 you can buy and use consumer grade fireworks from June 1st to July 8th and from December 10th to January 3rd. Some individual cities in the Des Moines Metro have further restricted their residents' use of fireworks beyond these laws. Watch your local city government sites for the latest updates in your community.
Our teams at The Iowa Clinic want you to enjoy a relaxing Fourth of July. Here are a few tips to have fun and stay SAFE when using fireworks:
- Alert Adults Only: NEVER let a child ignite a firework. Adults should only use fireworks when NOT under the influence of alcohol.
- Fireworks Fashion: Do NOT wear loose clothing & DO wear safety goggles when using fireworks.
- No Drought Zone: Never set off a firework on dry grass, pointing towards an area of dry foliage, or pointing towards the home.
- Stay Back: Only light one firework at a time, after lighting, quickly make sufficient space between you and the firework.
- H20 Ready: Always have a water source nearby when lighting fireworks.
- Single Use: NEVER relight a firework that is a dud; instead, wait for it to cool off and soak it with nearby water source.
- Proper Disposal: When finished with fireworks, dispose of them by wetting them down and putting them in a metal trashcan away from any flammable materials.
- Safe Storage: Store fireworks in a cool, dry place when you are not using them
- Be a Good Neighbor: Be aware of all those who are sensitive to loud noises such as all pets & animals and the many individuals in our country suffering from PTSD whom are often triggered by loud noises
- Attend an Event: Last, but not least, the safest way to enjoy fireworks is to leave the details to the professionals – sit back, relax, & enjoy the show!
Don't let an unexpected injury or illness ruin your holiday. The Iowa Clinic provides two Urgent Care Clinics in West Des Moines and Ankeny and eight Primary Care locations across the metro to help you get healthy and enjoy your holiday. Happy 4th of July!