The Iowa Clinic offers the following barium studies:
- Lower gastrointestinal (GI) tract X-ray — also called Barium enema — is a diagnostic examination of the colon — or large intestine — to check for colon cancer, polyps, diverticula or other abnormalities.
- The upper GI tract X-ray, is a diagnotistic examination from the esophagus to the end of the small intestine. Three separate X-ray examinations may be done, either alone or in combination, to produce images of this system. The three exams are:
- Barium Swallow, an examination of the canal in the throat that leads from the mouth to the opening of the stomach
- Upper GI (UGI), an examination of the stomach
- Small Bowel Series, an examination of the small intestine