Neurological & Spinal Surgery
The Iowa Clinic Neurological & Spinal Surgery Department specializes in health issues such as head trauma, brain tumors, degenerative spine disease, nervous system disorders and spinal cord injuries for both adults and children.
The Iowa Clinic Difference
At The Iowa Clinic, we know that neurological and spinal medical issues can be life-changing. This is why from the initial diagnosis to treatment and recovery, our team of specialists will use advanced technology, therapies and surgical techniques all while providing you compassionate, coordinated care.
What sets us apart:
- Dr. Nicholas Wetjen, is an internationally recognized, fellowship-trained, board-certified pediatric neurosurgeon, with nearly ten years of experience at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, where he directed the Pediatric Neurosurgery Department.
- Our adult team specializes in spinal deformities, an abnormal alignment or curve of the bony vertebral column, in adults 18+.
- The Iowa Clinic’s Neurological & Spinal Surgery, Trauma Surgery and Surgical Critical Care Departments are all part of Iowa Methodist Medical Center’s Level 1 Trauma Center. Level 1 is the highest verification offered by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Committee on Trauma. Iowa Methodist Medical Center is one of two in the state of Iowa, the other being The University of Iowa Hospital.
- We are a leader in the state of Iowa for coordination of patient care.
- Our surgeons actively participate in a periodic review process of both head and spine pathology for traumatic and non-traumatic disorders.
We pride ourselves on patient safety and positive outcomes. Our relationship with The University of Iowa and other neurosurgeons nationally, offer us the unique opportunity to provide the best care to our patients.
Our board-certified surgeons search for the best result for every patient, and sometimes that means referring you to someone who specializes in your condition or the proposed procedure. Our desire is to affiliate you with surgeons or specialists who have vast experience with a specialized procedure because we believe your life is important.
This does not mean we are giving you up as a patient. We consider this part of our role as your surgeon to again, offer the best-coordinated care and subsequent outcome for you.