Patients with complaints of Insomnia will see a sleep physician to assess the patient’s sleep history and complaints. Insomnia may be caused by many outside influences (time change, jet lag, life changing event) or may be a result of sleep disorder. The physician may ask you some of the following questions or ask you to complete a questionnaire with some of the questions listed below.
- Were there any stressful events related to the onset of your sleep difficulty?
- Do you have trouble falling asleep?
- Do you have trouble staying asleep?
- How many nights per month do you have problems falling asleep?
- 0-1 night 2-3 nights 4-5 nights >6 nights
- When you wake up in the night, how long do you stay awake? _______________________
- Do you wake up early in the morning unable to go back to sleep?
- Do you worry about not being able to go to sleep?
- Do you look forward to going to sleep?
- Do you feel apprehension, anxiety or dread when you are getting ready to go to sleep?
- Do you have racing thoughts that prevent you from sleeping?
- Do you look at the clock to check the time when you cannot sleep?
- On a typical night, how many times do you wake up? __________________________