Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
The prostate is a walnut-sized gland that is part of the male reproductive system that helps make semen. The prostate surrounds the urethra. As a man ages, the prostate gland can grow which can lead to more serious health problems, such as benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) and prostate cancer.
BPH is a common urologic condition caused by the non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate. While BPH is a nuisance and can affect a man’s way of life, serious issues are not normally associated with it, but there are many treatment options to relieve the side effects.
Symptoms of BPH Include:
- Frequent urination, especially at night
- Difficulty beginning to urinate
- A strong sudden urge to urinate
- A weak or slow urine stream
- Feeling unable to fully empty the baldder
- Urine stream that stars and stops
Unfortunately BPH cannot be cured, however your physician will work with you closely to come up with a treatment plan based on the severity of your symptoms and your lifestyle. Treatment options include: